Iran escalated its verbal fusillade against the White House this week, with its president, Hassan Rouhani, even alleging that U.S....Keep reading...
Report: More than 30 advertisers ditch Tucker Carlson amid ongoing controversies
Image Source: YouTube Screenshot
Advertisers are continuing to say goodbye to Tucker Carlson after audio recordings from a years-old “shock jock” radio program have been released that feature Carlson making remarks that many have labeled misogynistic and offensive.
According to Media Matters for America, the progressive media watchdog group that first brought the audio tapes to light, more than 30 companies have now pulled their advertisements from the popular weeknight primetime show Tucker Carlson Tonight.
Carlson’s controversial remarks
Since Sunday, Media Matters has released three batches of controversial audio recordings featuring Carlson, all of which were reportedly pulled from a radio program hosted by “Bubba the Love Sponge,” whose real name is Todd Alan Clem, between 2006 and 2011. Carlson worked for MSNBC from 2005 to 2008 before joining the Fox News team.
In the first batch of released recordings, Carlson allegedly referred to women as “primitive” and seemed to make light the criminal actions of Warren Jeffs, the former head of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints who is currently serving a life sentence in prison on child sex abuse charges.
In recordings released later, Carlson called Iraqis “semi-literate primitive monkeys” and made sexually suggestive comments about teenage girls involved in the Miss Teen USA pageant.
Advertisers flee Fox primetime
Media Matters has revealed that their intention in releasing the sound bites was to give Fox sponsors a “deeper understanding” of the network ahead of a meeting that the network had with advertisers on Wednesday.
And the liberal watchdog group appears to be accomplishing its goal. Drug maker AstraZeneca and bedding company Sheex became the most recent advertisers to drop Carlson earlier this week.
According to Fortune, this now brings the tally up to at least 34 companies that have left Carlson’s show since December, when the boycott first began after Carlson suggested on his show that illegal immigrants make the U.S. “poorer” and “dirtier.”
Fox host stands strong
But while companies like IHOP, Lexus, and Ancestry haven’t hesitated to drop Carlson in recent weeks, other companies, like Progressive and MyPillow, have opted to stick with Carlson — as has Fox News.
“We cannot and will not allow voices like Tucker Carlson to be censored by agenda-driven intimidation efforts from the likes of Moveon.org, Media Matters and Sleeping Giants,” the network said in a statement.
For his part, Carlson has refused to apologize, insisting on his Monday show that he will not “bow to the mob” and calling Media Matters “a George Soros-funded lobbying organization whose sole mission is to punish critics of the Democratic Party” on his Tuesday program.
“We’ve always apologized when we are wrong and will continue to do that. That’s what decent people do. They apologize,” Carlson said. “But we will never bow to the mob. Ever. No matter what.”
JOIN THE MOVEMENT
Add your best email address below to start receiving news alerts.
President Donald Trump has sometimes joked about remaining in office for longer than eight years, but for the commander in...Keep reading...
Rep. Maxine Waters (D-CA) blamed President Donald Trump for rising tensions with Iran, earning her a stinging rebuke from Republican Rep....Keep reading...
Long-time New York Post columnist Steve Dunleavy was found dead in his home on Long Island on Monday. He was...Keep reading...
The cause of death of a Long Island pizzeria owner who suddenly died in the Dominican Republic earlier this month...Keep reading...
Joe Biden is not a winning horse, according to bookies. President Donald Trump is an even money bet to win...Keep reading...