LA news anchor Chris Burrous dies at 43 after being found unresponsive in motel room

A community is in mourning over the sudden death of popular Los Angeles news anchor Chris Burrous.

Paramedics discovered the 43-year-old Burrous unresponsive and not breathing at a Glendale Days Inn on Thursday after a man he was with called the authorities. Glendale firefighters tried to revive Burrous by administering CPR, but he was pronounced dead at the hospital.

Tragedy in Los Angeles

The Los Angeles County Coroner’s Office has not yet released an official cause of death, although the news anchor’s unidentified friend indicated in the initial call that Burrous had possibly suffered an overdose. “Glendale detectives are currently investigating the case and are thoroughly examining the unfortunate circumstances surrounding his death,” Glendale public information officer Sgt. Dan Suttles wrote in an official statement.

An autopsy has been performed, but the coroner’s office said on Friday, “A cause of death was deferred pending further investigation.”

During a Thursday briefing describing the circumstances behind Burrous’ death, Suttles explained how first responders recognized the journalist “right away because everybody knows Chris.” Burrous’ friend “quite honestly did a good job of trying to render aid,” the police spokesman said, although he did not elaborate on the nature of the man’s relationship with the deceased.

Beloved community member

Tributes began rolling in for Burrous shortly after news of his death became public. He was a fixture on the KTLA 5 “Morning News,” where he had worked as a reporter and weekend anchor since 2011.

Just hours after Burrous passed away, KTLA President Don Corsini and News Director Jason Ball released a heartfelt statement offering “thoughts and prayers” to the Burrous family. “Chris loved sharing the stories of Southern California and connecting with our viewers,” they wrote.

“He will be remembered as a great journalist and a wonderful friend to many. He brought a kindness to his work and will be deeply missed by the entire KTLA family,” the statement read.

“He will be missed”

Before relocating to Los Angeles, Burrous worked for WPIX in New York for two years beginning in 2010. PIX11 News Director Amy Waldman remembered him as “a well-respected journalist who was devoted to telling people’s stories.”

“He brought a smile to the faces of everyone he worked with at PIX11, and our team is saddened by news of his death,” Waldman continued. “He will be missed. Our hearts go out to his family during this difficult time.”

[show_poll poll_id=23736]

Burrous is survived by his wife, Mai Do-Burrous, and their 9-year-old daughter Isabella.

Share on facebook
Share To Facebook